Invitation to the 5th International meeting for Climate Justice Action
When: Friday 19 to Sunday 21June 2009. (& Tour of Copenhagen 22nd)
Where: Copenhagen, Denmark (Fabriken Building Christiania)
To Register: email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information: email email@example.com
To get a visa invitation: email firstname.lastname@example.org
You are invited to the next international meeting of Climate Justice Action in Copenhagen Denmark on the 19th to the 21st of June.
On the 6 December, 2009 the governments of the world will come to Copenhagen for the fifteenth UN Climate Conference (COP-15). This will be the biggest summit on climate change ever to have taken place. Yet, previous meetings have produced nothing more than business as usual.
The network has already started to discuss how to mobilize and what to do in Copenhagen but we are still in the planning stages. We have time to collectively decide what these mobilizations will look like, and to begin to visualize what our future can be.
Our previous meetings have included a lot of political discussion, setting up various international working groups, developing common ground, and deciding our principles and strategic goals.
Our first common ground was the Call to Action, which can be found at http://climateaction09.org/wiki/doku.php?id=documents.
We believe in the necessity of global action for climate justice and a plan for one of the mass actions at the Summit in December has already started.
We are trying to link and unite climate activists from across the world, despite diversity of culture and different locations.
We invite anyone who agrees with our Call to Action, principles for working together and strategic goals to participate in the next International Meeting of Climate Justice Action in June.
Our Strategic Goals are:
- To promote and strengthen the rights and voices of Indigenous and affected peoples (including workers) in confronting the climate crisis. To support reparations and the repayment of ecological debt to the Global South by industrialized rich countries.
- To build a global movement for climate justice that encourages urgent action to avoid catastrophic climate change.
- To highlight the critical role of biodiversity in weathering the climate crisis, and to defend the existence of all species.
- To expose the roles of false and market-based climate “solutions” as well as corporate domination of climate negotiations in worsening the climate crisis.
- To advance alternatives that can provide real and just solutions to the climate crisis.
- To both sharpen our understanding of, and to address, the root social, ecological, political and economic causes of the climate crisis toward a total systemic transformation of our society.
Our network is committed to working with respect, trust and unity towards these goals. We agreed at our last meeting that our principles for working together are:
We are stronger together. We will use our common platform to coordinate our efforts and work together whilst recognizing our diversity
We are an international movement and will practice solidarity.
The network is made up of groups with diverse opinions and tactics. We will respect this diversity
No members of the network will use the network to criticize or disassociate themselves from other members of the network.
The network will only make public statements that have been agreed by the network.
Members for the network will not use the actions of other members to further their own aims without previous agreement.
We call on all peoples around the planet to mobilize and take action against the root causes of climate change and the key agents responsible, both in Copenhagen and around the world. And we invite you all to the next international planning meeting in Copenhagen in June.
Again to register email email@example.com (If you need accommodation or translation please let us know in your email) and for more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need a VISA, we can send you an invitation letter: please contact: email@example.com
We encourage people to stay for a tour of interesting areas for the mobilization on Monday the 22 June.
The aims and agenda for this coming meeting are being discussed now. To get involved in the discussion please sign onto the process working group: http://our-kitchen.org/mailman/listinfo/process.cja
See you in Copenhagen!